Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Play To the Left, To the Left




I'll be the first to say it --I'm not fashion savvy. I wear sweats outside the gym. I've owned the same pair of jeans for years (baggy's the new comfortable). I've picked my nose and at-- , wait. . .that' just disgusting. Someone else does the picking But even I know a bad deal when I see one. Case in point, the shopping selections found here , at Beyonce's House of Dereon website.

With the help of Tina Knowles, her perpetually angry-looking mother (she did for Destiny's what Joe did for the Jackson Five), the singer/dancer/Christie doll with thighs launched House of Dereon two short years ago. Since then, the fashion company has secured a corner of the contemporary urban market, and recently announced the expansion of a junior's section. Besides another way for us to spend money, what does the site offer?

B's Mama's Mama's Shoes
Some are sensible. Some look like they unfurl into an 8-10 person tent. And some, well, I can hear the word on the streets now:

BF1: Oooh girl, is that a new purr of shoes?

BF2: You know it.

BF1: That's what's up *upon further inspection* and tell me that's real raccoon.

BF2: Corn-fed farm raised.

BF1: Get it.

BF2: By the way, did you get that script I sent you? Kind of a Sci-Fi/Rachel Ray situation . . . ?

Re: the upper body, Dereon has plenty of cute, cashmere numbers. There are even a few stylish wrap-arounds. But the prices make them less attractive than Tina and/or Kelly Rowland's last album. I mean, sure you get what you pay for, but what do you gain from a $54 long-sleeve
shirt *without thinsulate*?

Obvious Guy: Buyer's Remorse, Am I right?

And this spaghetti strap silk screened corset? For $48? I had no idea covering cheap shirts with images of cheaper shirts somehow made them expensive. Starting right now I'm selling baby-tee-screened tube-tops for $84 (cash only, no COD).

Spending hand over fist for uppity tops and roadkill shoes?

No thanks, House of Derriere.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger